Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Writing is Cool (reason # 244)

Most people don't profess to like school.  I do.  Of course, I hate assignments and tests as much as the next person, but I do love the pursuit of knowledge.  I like learning random things.  I like history.  I like understanding how things work.  Lucky for me that I am pursuing a career as an author (since I finished up my eternal bachelors degree).

However, there is a certain disregard for the genre I choose to write in (fantasy).  People think it's just a whole lot of flights-of-fancy and other useless drivel; that everything that goes into the story is just made up on the spot.  They are so wrong!  I am constantly researching real information that I need to make my story work, and it is a very fun and enlightening process.  Here are some of the things that I can remember researching this year to feed the writing muse: alchemy, cannons, the human circulation system (focusing on heart rates), rubber (naturally produced by a tree), fire hoses (in use much, much longer than you think), ancient plumbing systems (lead pipes, etc. . .), magnetic fields (of the earth and moon and how they interact), rape trauma syndrome (along with PTSD), ship construction, and most recently, spiders (give a spider caffeine and then watch it spin its web, heheh), gliders, hang gliding, and Otto Lilenthal.

Anyway, it's a lot of fun.  Hopefully the end product is worth all the work I'm putting in.  And good luck trying to figure out how all those subjects fit together:).

No comments: