Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Embarassing Truth about BYU Football

I don't know at what point I really bought into all the preseason hype, but I've been very excited about this year for the BYU football team.  We have a lot of returning starters on the offense, and we have athletic ability that we have never had in the past.  Plus we revamped the coaching staff into a unit that was supposed to be much better.

Well, the blinders came off yesterday.  Our team was DESTROYED, OBLITERATED, and MANGLED BEYOND RECOGNITION by our hated rivals yesterday.  I have never seen a greater implosion in all of my sports watching history, and I've never been more embarrassed to be a Cougar fan. The whole second half of the game yesterday is just one hazy blur, I don't even remember the final score.  And, I feel like I have a hangover, a dashed expectations hangover (no drinking involved).

I will say this though, there is no way that Utah is 46 (or whatever it was) points better than us.  Utah isn't better than Texas, or maybe even Ole' Miss.  That was a very winnable game for us, until our team imploded on the first or second play of the game.

It isn't time to write off the season yet.  We have at least two more difficult (but theoretically winnable) games left on our schedule, and then a lot of patsies.  We can redeem ourselves.  But somehow Bronco and his coaching staff need to answer for this fiasco.  It's their responsibility to make sure our players are prepared mentally and physically for every game, and that certainly wasn't the case last night.  I'm not calling for their heads, because I trust Bronco as a coach, he's successful and I know that he has his priorities straight, but somehow an explanation needs to be made.  They owe it to all the fans who are still reeling from the constant barrage of metaphorical punches to the face last night.

Anyway, overwhelming sadness and despair.  The end:(

No comments: