Thursday, September 22, 2011

To be like Thor (or Chris Hemsworth)

 I watched Thor last week.  Fun movie, much better than the tepid Facebook comments I heard all summer.

However, Chris Hemsworth's pectorals made me want to shoot myself (Date Night reference).  The guy was incredibly fit for this movie.  Unbelievably so, which I guess makes sense, since he was playing, you know, a Norse god.

Luckily there are better solutions to shooting oneself if you don't feel that you actually have pectorals.  The best solution would be. . .drum roll please?. . .going to the gym!!!  Which I have been doing for a year now. . .minus a four month break to go make money in Alaska.  No I don't have pectorals like Chris Hemsworth, but I'm getting closer.  A year ago I weighed maybe 165 pounds.  Today I measured at 182.  Yay!  I have big(er) muscles now.  But, I want more.  I want to look like a Norse god.

So, how does one achieve such a goal?  According to Mr. Hemsworth, the trick (besides working out like an animal) is a proper diet.  A healthy diet.  And, a BIG diet.  Here is his formula (thank-you Men's Health):  Target Weight x (Workout Hours + 10) = Total Calories a day.  So, in my case the formula would look like this:    190 x 17.5 = 3325.  That's how many calories I need to be eating a day to get bigger.  On top of that I should be eating 1 gram of protein for every pound I want to weigh. . .190g.

Today I tried to measure my caloric intake, and the results are depressing.  I ate with as much effort as I possibly could, to the point where my stomach has been bloated since lunch.

Breakfast:  1 boiled Egg (65 calories, 6 grams protein).
                 1 cup sliced strawberries (50 calories, 0 protein).
                 Protein drink (140 calories, 27 grams protein).
                 Total: 255 calories, 33 grams protein.

Lunch:  3 helpings garlic chicken (almost half a Costco bag with added chicken and broccoli)
            Total: 1120 calories, 95 grams protein.

Dinner: Carl's Jr. Chicken Fillet + protein drink
            Total: 790 calories, 60 grams protein

Daily Total: 2175 calories, 190 grams protein.

So, I hit my protein goal for the day (but only by supreme effort), but I was over 1000 calories short!  I barely hit the 2000 calorie average American diet!  I still can't believe it.  That means on the average day I'm not eating enough for a normal person.  This probably has to do with my schedule because my first meal of the day comes after I work out, usually around 11am.  That puts a big lunch at 3-ish, and then I'm not really hungry until I'm about to go to bed.

Gah!  What sacrifices must I make to achieve this (see right)?  I think I might actually have to start getting up an hour earlier just to eat a pre-workout breakfast!

And on top of all this, the food I'm eating needs to be healthy food.  Which just adds a whole other dimension and level of difficulty to this process, because the food I am eating isn't.  Not at all.  I'm partaking in way too many carbs and sugars, and that equals bad.

I need a healthy food cook.  Any takers?

The really funny thing, though, is watching my sisters try to avoid calories.  Hahah!   

2 comments:

Ransom said...

An acquaintance of mine who gains weight once revealed to me a secret strategy of his:

Set an alarm clock for around midnight, (or maybe two hours after you go to bed, whenever that is) get up, and eat a yoghurt.

Which kind of makes sense, if you think about it. You'll digest it all right away, and won't burn hardly any of it.

Vae Gannon said...

I'm thinking I need to set my alarm at midnight and then eat a whole meal!