Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Hunger Games


I've been hearing this name thrown around for a couple years now in association with books that "must" be read. I don't know why, but for some reason the idea of these books never really appealed to me. Really, I can't put my finger on it, so don't ask. I just wasn't that interested in them, even when friends told me that I HAVE to read them.

Well, finally I have succumbed.

At first I was determined to find faults with the book. Suzanne Collins is by no means a perfect writer. Her use of the present tense, a gutsy move from the norm of fiction writing, struggles at times when transitioning between things that happened in the past to things that are happening now, which on occasion, can leave the reader slightly confused. Paragraphs seem to start on one subject and end on another (not unusual or bad, normally, but somehow I found it annoying, because the paragraphs were taking great leaps instead of small steps). And her overuse of sentence fragments is jarring, to say the least.

But, I started the book when I sat down for my dinner of Ramen noodles and didn't get up again till I had finished it four hours later. Yes, writing flaws aside, the book is that gripping. Once the story gets going, the sentence fragments and meandering paragraphs aren't noticeable (unless the paragraph starts with an explanation of something that never really gets explained).

The pacing of the book is excellent, with gradual details and strange twists adding to the landscape of the post-apocalyptic world that has been created. The characters are quite like-able (unlike a certain other popular series recently, cough, Twilight!), though the main character, Katniss, has a definite flair for drama. The story itself, is fresh and compelling, though not entirely unpredictable. I do admit that Collins left a character alive that I was certain should/would die, and killed a character that I was somewhat certain would live--in a most unexpected fashion. I actually had some problems with the unexpectedness of this scene. I felt that it was contrived by the author to move the story forward, rather that an event that would have happened when truly governed by the capabilities of the characters involved. And, to avoid giving away too many plot details, I shan't say anymore about that!

I think I've rambled on to the end of my review. The book isn't perfect, but the story is excellent. Oh, the ending was ridiculously horrid. Really? That's what you leave me with? Ok, next time just beg people to buy the sequel.

Story: A
Characters: A
World: A
Writing Style: B

Total: A

No comments: