Thursday, January 01, 2009

Mi Casa es no Su Casa

I can't actually speak Spanish :(

I was recently explaining to my mother about how tired I was of living in my current dwelling. Somewhere at the end of my elaboration I said something to the effect of, "Why don't you [parents] buy a house down here in Provo and let me [and siblings] rent it from you." I said it with an element of sarcasm and was quite surprised when my father seemed genuinely interested in the idea. And so, it has begun, the long process of finding the perfect house so we can then seriously consider this purchase. It's certainly not set in stone, and it seems that my parents are leaving tomorrow to visit my sister in Toole before they go back home, so we may never find the house that we are looking for. I may have to continue the search after they leave, though I have no idea how I would convince them that a house that I find would be worth buying.

Anyway, this process has helped illustrate to me how desperately I need to find a new place to live. The night before we went to view our first house I could not sleep until 6am. In comparison I went to sleep about midnight on Christmas eve, while sleeping on the floor with no padding. I can't believe how excited I am at the prospect of moving. I knew I needed a change, but this bad?

Incidentally, my mom got a look at the place that I am living and feels as strongly about me moving as I.

I thought I was used to living in. . . grungy. . . places from my two year tour in Georgia, but never did I live in the same place for 4.5 years. That is a long time for sub-par living conditions to drag a man down. That is a long time of feeling a bit ashamed about inviting someone (girls) over.

I pray that my parents can find a place that they are satisfied with, soon, because I've been spending too much time behind this horizon. It's time for me to move on to the next.

In closing, 2009 is here. My goal is to move (preferably to a house owned by my parents and occupied by my sisters, maybe brother, and I). And perhaps, I'm really getting on a limb here, invite a female friend to dinner. That would be awesome.

1 comment:

Ransom said...

As you may remember, my family is running a very similar arrangement. If you have questions about how our system works, shoot me an email.