Saturday, December 27, 2008

Dance Movies


I got Step Up 2: The Streets in my stocking for Christmas. It's pretty cool, as far as dance movies go. The dancing is quite good, and the final dance number--in the rain--is HOTTT. But, while Step Up 2: The Streets is visually stimulating, it suffers the same weakness as every other dance movie ever made: a bland and cliche story.

I don't understand why a subject matter that is so awesome doesn't result in movies that are actually good as a whole. I've watched dance movies that impress me with the quality of their dancing, but none have ever left me feeling inspired. In comparison, a football movie like Remember the Titans, which deals with the same core issues, is much more inspiring. How can football (or basketball, baseball, ice skating, bobsledding) come across as more inspiring than dance? It makes no sense.

Somebody needs to step up. Hollywood is focusing only on the visual stimulation of dance; they aren't seeking to use it in an inspirational way. Shameful.

Here is a short list of the dance movies that I can remember watching.

Strictly Ballroom--One of the better dance movies, ever, though it suffers from dated visuals, and the quirky nature of director Baz Luhrmann won't appeal to everybody.

Dance with Me--This one is good, but the story is a bit slow and will get real boring the second time through. Still, this movie offers the best glimpse of competitive ballroom dancing of any of the dance movies that I have seen. The last 15 minutes are real good.

Shall We Dance (American)--Lame. J-Lo is attractive, but that is outweighed by horrid dancing, cliche characters, and an uninspiring story. It does have Slavik Kryklyyvy for two seconds, and supposedly Tony Dovolani and Elena Grinenko (though I never have been able to find them).

Take the Lead--Not bad. The characters are kind of boring, but there are at least two pretty good dance scenes, though they are a bit over-edited (too many cuts). Jenna Dewan is a good dancer.

Step Up--One of the coolest songs I have ever heard (Show me the Money by Petey Pablo) some cool dance scenes. But otherwise predictable. Jenna Dewan can REALLY dance.

Center Stage 2--Attractive girls, good dancing, boring story. Yay.

Step Up 2: The Streets--Great dance scenes, Jabbawockeez, dancing in the rain, Brianna Evigan, typical story. Entertaining, but with no depth.

2 comments:

1-4-Freedom said...

I am not one much into dance movies and haven't seen many of them. I did watch Step Up 2. The girls were pretty (immodest) and the dancing was impressive though obscene in some ways. It would be nice to watch such a movie and enjoy the beauty of dance (and the girls) without the crotch grabs, stroking of breasts, and the obvious sexual intimations. I do agree that the story was shallow and almost non-existant. I agree with your assessment of a good sports movie in comparison to the dance movies you mentioned. "Remember the Titans" or "Hoosiers" are much more powerful, though in many ways dance requires more strength and athleticism.

Katya said...

Agreed. I hate all dance movies except for "Strictly Ballroom", which I think is hilarious and also very true...
As for "Shall We Dance" JLo version, the idea that she could be a Blackpool finalist is laughable. Holy crappy topline...haha anyway...