Sunday, December 21, 2008

A little Soul Searching (We'd be Sweating in the Zombie Apocalypse)

I've been nagging myself lately to write a new blog post, but I've really had no inspiration. I suppose, just for the sake of writing something, anything, that I'll ramble on about this latest exciting semester of life at BYU.

Yes, I'm going to bore you. But that is OK, just as long as you (my loyal and dedicated readers) understand that I am still quite alive.

Which really could be debated. . . being alive has a connotation of vibrancy and energy that goes beyond a beating heart and an intake of breath. And I, especially after the debacle of BYU's showing in the Las Vegas Bowl, and that heartrending loss by the basketball team yesterday, have not been feeling that extra oomph. I must be a zombie. Hopefully I look a little healthier than. . .
Rob Zombie.

Honestly though, I think I've just been a little bogged down in the tediousness of college life. Though, that might be a little misleading because I actually enjoy learning and the many other opportunities that college offers. I guess I'm really a little frustrated right now by: living in a dungeon, roommates that can't seem to clean up after themselves, University of Utah fans, tests, and the like.

Relocation would seem like a good option, but I doubt I could find a place that offers me a private room, sufficient space to store my years of accumulated bachelor wealth (junk), wireless Internet, and a bomb shelter for $240 (or less) a month.

Still, change is good and that's not what I've seen enough of in the last couple years. I need something drastic. The Zombie Apocalypse would do nicely.

Luckily the semester is over and my family has come to visit from Alaska. I think this will provide enough of a change of scenery that I will be ready for the upcoming semester. . . though I doubt my house is going to be any cleaner. Also, BYU football is over for the year, now there will only be hope for a beautiful next season, instead of terrible frustration.

Back to the zombie apocalypse. I'm sure I'm not alone in my desire for the excitement and terror that it would offer. People in our society have an inherent desire to live a life that is more fulfilling than what the 21st century offers. People are bored and depressed. The only remedy for that is a day of good, hard physical labor. Most people can't come home at the end of the day from an office job and feel relaxed, content. . . happy. Secretly, inside, we want to go back to simpler times. Times of kill or be killed.

Hmmm, that's another thing I've been missing lately. Physical energy expenditure. I've been doling out mental energy like a self sustaining nuclear fusion reaction. But I can't think of the last time that I worked myself into a good sweat. I need to go spend a couple hours shooting hoops. Maybe I can do that tomorrow.

Sweat is important. And I have not been doing it.

No comments: