Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Clumsy? Me?

I've been living my life with such grace and poise over the last couple of years that a couple of recent events, that could loosely be labeled as clumsy, have taken me completely by surprise. Luckily, both of them happened when I was alone, so there were no awkward embarrassing moments. Of course, now I am here revealing them to you so you can laugh. . . at me.

The first happened the other day when I was doing my science homework in my room. My room is small, comprising of a bed, a desk area, and a narrow walkway in between. I also have a very useful office chair in which I like to sit and feel important. On this particular day I was sitting in my chair with books and papers spread across my bed and my laptop on my lap. My desktop computer was also on, and I was dividing my attention between my two computers and my homework. Eventually, I decided that I wanted to readjust my position to be a bit more comfortable so I put my feet up on my bed which required that I tip my chair back a little. However, during this mundane process--which I have performed countless times over the last four years--I felt the wheels of my chair slip from underneath me. Time seemed to slow down. Many thoughts ran through my head, one of which was something to the effect of "Is this really happening?" Most people have this particular thought when something monumental happens, such as winning $1,000,000. My other thought was generally along the lines of, "Must protect laptop," which I did with superhero control as I plummeted backwards onto the floor. The impact was jarring, though not painful, and I laid on the floor and chuckled at myself for several seconds.

The second event occurred while I was brushing my teeth Sunday night. Yep, something that I have been doing regularly since I was six or seven. Anyway, I was brushing with vigor when suddenly I lost control of my toothbrush and stabbed myself at the base of my gum. It hurt. Now I have a very painful bruise in my mouth.

So, the point of all this is that even I, image of poise and grace, radiator of power and beauty, have awkward clumsy moments. Now you know.

No comments: