Sunday, January 10, 2010

Avatar = SUPER AWESOME!!!



I saw Avatar in the theaters on Saturday. It was easily the best movie that I've seen on the big screen since I saw The Fellowship of the Rings back in 2001 (of course I missed a lot of great movies while I was on my mission and living in Alaska, but that is beside the point). Basically, Avatar is the best movie that I have seen in a long time.

The reason that it is so good is because the world created and brought to life by James Cameron is full of rich detail. The plants, animals, ships, characters, cultures, etc. . . are all very well thought out. I'm a sucker for rich universes, that's why I like Tolkien and Robert Jordan.

What is really impressive though, is the seamless blend of live action and CG animation. Usually I hate CG in movies (very few movies actually make it feel authentic, LOTR was probably the last one that impressed me) but in Avatar, it sucked me in. It felt real. Even though 90% of the movie was in CG (I made up that number, but it feels right) it still felt authentic!

People have complained about "political" messages in the story, but I really didn't notice anything super blatant politically. I wasn't satisfied with the motivations of the main antagonists--all of their actions seemed to be made for the purpose of driving the story. In other words, all the villains are static characters who make unreasonably stupid choices (because that is what James Cameron wants them to do) because that is what will lead to the big confrontation in the end. But that's really a negligible complaint, I'm just being a picky English major.

I've said enough. Watch Avatar in the theater (yes you Alaskan people, go to Anchorage and watch it).

No comments: