Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Bald Soprano

Here is an excerpt from Eugene Ionesco's The Bald Sorprano. It's a poem.

The Fire

The polypoids were burning in the wood
A stone caught fire
The castle caught fire
The forest caught fire
The men caught fire
The women caught fire
The birds caught fire
The fish caught fire
The water caught fire
The sky caught fire
The ashes caught fire
The smoke caught fire
The fire caught fire
Everything caught fire
Caught fire, caught fire

MRS. MARTIN: That sent chills up my spine. . .
MR. MARTIN: And yet there's a certain warmth in those lines. . .
FIRE CHIEF: I thought it was marvelous.

You can't get writing better than that.

2 comments:

Ransom said...

Gold!

Reminds me of the work of Daniil Kharms. Also, basically everything he wrote was tiny, so you should have no trouble reading any of it.

Having searched a bit, I've come up with a much nicer translation than the ones I was reading before. There's a bit of a preface though, so you might just page down past the first eight pages until you get to where Kharms starts writing stuff. Anyway, here it is:
http://lib.ru/HARMS/xarms_engl.txt

Ransom said...

The old place has enough good ones, too, I guess I'd better throw you that link: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/8926/Kharms/Incidences.html