Saturday, June 07, 2008

Working for the NPS: Week 4

I have a couple ideas for different blog entries floating around in the convoluted depths of my mind but none of them are thought out to the point that I am ready to write about them. So, that means you get to read about me and my fabulous job. . . again.

This week I actually went out in the field for training on "Trail Layout and Design." What that really comes out to is "hiking around in the woods." Yes, I spent one day getting lectured about making good trails, then I spent the next three days wandering around in the woods looking for possible trail routes that filled the requirements that we were looking for. The area that were in was beside the Gilahina River and we were looking for a possible trail that would take us to the Chitina river about seven miles to the south, but that didn't work. We eventually decided on a loop trail that went up to a saddle between the Gilahina and Chokosna and then followed the edge of the cliffs that overlooked the two rivers until their confluence. It was beautiful country, and the trail that we eventually decided upon will be awesome--that is if the final proposal can get through the billion levels of management. One of the possible drawbacks for this trail was the obvious level of bear activity in the area. There were bear trails everywhere, and one spot that we visited (on the Chokosna side of the saddle) was an obvious feeding ground--fish skeletons and all. Our camp was also the site of a bear rub--where a bear rubs against or scratches a tree as a territorial claim. I can't say that any of the bear activity was recent or not, I saw no obvious signs, but I did track what I thought to be a bear for a way before the trail was obliterated by my companions--there were like fifteen of us.

Anyway, it was a pretty good four days of hiking/camping, though it did get cold, and it rained for the first day. Other than that, I had a blast! And we did finally encounter a a young grizzly bear when we went out to Kennicot to scout a site for a bridge, but he ignored us and just wandered up the mountain.

I wish I had a digital camera so that I could post pictures of all this. . .

No comments: