Wednesday, June 18, 2008

On Women

This is supposed to be the other side of my post "What Makes a Man?" I am not qualified to even attempt to describe what makes a woman, so this post will be more along the lines of what a "manly" man--errr, myself--looks for in a woman.

Probably the best example of this comes from the quote that I posted at the end of "What Makes a Man," by Loius L'Amour. I guess I'll quote it again, "A strong man need wish for no more than this: a sword in the hand, a horse between his knees, and the woman he loves at the battle's end." So here we have a man, who finally returns from his war, and there she is, the woman he loves. . . waiting for him.

A man can't fight, like he must, without a woman who loves and trusts him. A woman is the foundation that a man stands on to do his battles. . . that sounds weird, I know, but remember in Rocky III? Apollo Creed is trying to re-train Rocky so he can fight the man who previously humiliated him, but Rocky lacks the fire. Why? Because he didn't have Adrian behind him. But when she gets in his corner. . .

That's the first thing that a man wants in a woman. He wants her to be in his corner, to be his number one fan and best friend, he wants her to back him up, and if she does that, her man will charge hell with a bucket of water, he'll fight till the death--for her, because of her.

Another thing that Louis L'Amour talks about (is he really the source of all this?) is a woman who can "walk beside a man rather than behind him." I interpret this in the sense that a man needs a woman who is a warrior. I use that term loosely to describe a woman who doesn't give up, no matter how tough things get; she possesses an indomitable spirit. Sometimes things just don't work out when a man tries to carve out a living (or a home, his niche in the world, or whatever) with his hands, and if things get tough, a man needs a woman to stand by him; to support him even in his failures. . . and a man will fail, time and again.

Of course, the other side of that, is that the woman needs to be a lady. . . no matter how tough the going gets. Sophisticated, intelligent, and cultured. . . she is the main influence that keeps the children from turning into animals/barbarians (though the man should not shirk his responsibilities here either). Related to this is the special sensitivity to spiritual things that women have. . . this is a special gift that is being lost in this modern era because of the destruction of gender roles.

Perhaps I am being a little too idealistic here, and maybe somewhat old fashioned, but there it is. . . A true woman, a lady, is intelligent and beautiful, sophisticated and unbreakable, and ever so devoted to the man who trusts her with. . . everything.

Here is the ideal picture of the relationship between a man and a woman :)


Yes, I admit my bias here. . . but there is so much that is beautiful in ballroom dance; it encompasses the way the relationship between a man and woman should be. The ideal in every way.

This by the way is Victor Fung and Anna Mikhed. . . I've seen them a couple times in person, and they are exquisite.
And here are Urs and Agnes just as icing on the cake.
I'm not going to try to explain the wonder of Ballroom Dance here. If you aren't familiar with it, I suggest you give it a shot.
Anyway, I don't think I talked about everything that I wanted to mention, but this is good enough for now. Hopefully I didn't come across as chauvinistic or anything. All I'm trying to say, is that a man and woman are equal in their respective spheres. There is nothing wrong with being a true lady. . . or a true man.

3 comments:

Aye Spy said...

These are some good thoughts, I agree with ya. :) Ever since Brown vs. Board of Education, people think the general concept of "separate but equal" is impossible and wrong, but in my opinion, it applies perfectly to gender roles. Separate characteristics/responsibilities, equal value to society.

Moon's Wolf said...

I liked your points. I agreed with them...definate differences in the roles between men and women. Each equily important and dependent on each others roles.

Katya said...

Oh my goodness, I love Victor and Anna. I was so happy they took 4th at Blackpool this year. And I agree with you. Men and women are different; that's what makes things interesting.