Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Ramblings of a Wandering Man

This is really just a post to announce to the world that I still exist. This has been one of the longer dry spells as a blogger, and what I am offering with this post is nothing more than a tiny drop of relief (for me, not necessarily for you).

I am back in Alaska for the summer. After the whirlwind finish to my last semester of college (EVER!), my summer home is a refreshing dip into a slower paced, relaxed world. Unfortunately, a week in Glennallen, Alaska is enough to make me want to go back to the other one. This place is a dead end for me. I love it, and I hate to dog on it, but I can't live here, yet. As soon as the summer is over I'm taking my money and running.

But that brings up the question of where exactly I am going. My original intention was to return to Provo, UT. I like it there; I have both friends and family in the area. And there are lots of girls. But on the other hand, I'll be hanging around in a college town with no real possibilities for good employment. Plus, the one girl who really made Provo an intriguing option is now engaged to the boyfriend whom I hoped she would. . . disengage.

Ack! Curses!

But where else would I go? I can't stay in Alaska without turning into a depressed and crazy old hermit. I've considered Georgia, I spent a couple years there and liked it a lot. It would be nice to go back, but I can't think of any specific reasons to return other than nostalgia.

My list of other options totals a big fat zero.

Any suggestions?

(In theory, I can go anywhere if I achieve my dream of making my living as a writer).

5 comments:

A.L.E. said...

That was a fast turn around for her. Wowsie! Savannah is nice, and has lots of cool stuff! Maybe you could travel around a little and see what catches your eye.

Analei said...

It sounds like you need to finish your book ASAP. In the meantime, you could join the Peace Corp or the military or teach English in Korea. I don't think there is anywhere that has possibilities for good employment anymore than Provo. So you should still come back here. But I suppose you should apply for jobs you are interested in all over the country and just see which ones you get and then decide where to go.

Aye Spy said...

You should come to Albuquerque! :)

Analei said...

Besides, all your stuff is in Utah, including your car. So you have to come back. :)

me said...

in the words of a song i love 'Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard; live
in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.'

But yes.. for a writer who wants to go where there are possibilities.. New York City seems worth a trip. But beware, it's going to be costly, its going to hurt before it gets better - but you will be a better writer.

If you prefer something easier - travel. Buy a ticket to somewhere cheap - asia, south america .. somewhere and travel while you write.