Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Painted on my Heart





Meet Ernest (13), Talauna (11), Carlita (7), and Demetrius (4), the newest members of the Devenport family. I don't want to get into to much detail, but these kids have essentially been abandoned by both of their parents. So here they are, living with my family, because my parents are noble like that.

I don't know how long they'll be staying with us. But they definitely show signs of needing a stable home. This whole experience has illustrated to me that the greatest tragedy of our superficial and selfish society is the children who grow up in broken families--who then grow up according to the example of their parents.

Children should not be subjected to the pain that results from the betrayal of their parents.

That's why it hurts me when Demetrius comes running up to me all excited because he saw his mom and she gave him a Transformer. . .

All I can think is "Kid, your mom is running away from you. The price of that toy seems to be the limit of her love."

2 comments:

Analei said...

Yeah. I can't even count anymore how many kids, adults, and entire families our amazing parents have taken in, sheltered, and cared for. I just hope I can be as loving and open to people in need!

1-4-Freedom said...

I am touched beyond expression by the kind words from both you and Analei. Ever so often, something like this happens that gives me an inkling that I and your Mother may have accomplished a little good in life. But, it is not us - it is the children. Can we just leave them? Let them stay in the unstable, undefined, and downright dangerous "family" situation they were in? Watch them grow up as Vae Gannon says, "according to the example of their parents", and watch them destroy themselves in drugs, alcohol, immorality, and produce offspring to suffer the same fate and continue the cycle? It's inconceivable! But, such is the unavoidable result of their "traditional" Native lifestyle. God forbid!
The people we have "taken in" over the years have often been a heavy burden. But, we have ALWAYS been blessed because of it. I hope that your lives can be so blessed as you bless the lives of others.