Thursday, November 27, 2008

Twilight


This isn't a review of the movie, which I haven't seen and probably won't for quite some time; this is a review of the books, or perhaps, more of a review of Stephanie Meyer as a storyteller.

It may surprise those of you who know me that I have read these books, they aren't something that I would typically read, but I figured that since Stephanie Meyer is a product of BYU, that I should acquaint myself with her work (scout the competition). Anyway, the first day of Thanksgiving break, I read the forth book at my sister's house which is what prompted this post.

So, my thoughts. Hmmmm. Being a man, it's hard to get past the bodice ripper approach to the vampire genre. The Twilight series is more of a romance with the vampire approach added as an interesting twist rather than a vampire story that includes romance. Every page literally drips with drivel like, "he was as beautiful as a Greek god. I just wanted to reach out and caress his perfect marble cheeks, but he was out of reach. I felt the tears forming in my eyes. . ." And while that wasn't a direct quote (best I could come up with, sorry), it gives you the idea. While this type of writing might be interesting to many girls, as a man, it makes the story a bit cumbersome.

Which is what is so frustrating about Meyer's writing. She certainly adds interesting approaches to the vampire genre, and, every once in a while, she decides to toss the more adrenaline oriented audience a bone, but it isn't enough to make the story completely engaging. She has, at times, marvelously brilliant ideas, yet they are clouded by shameless romance.

Unfortunately, I think this romance approach alienates a large potential audience. Not that Meyer is hurting, with her legions of emotional teenage girl fans, but it's quite possible she could have doubled her fan base with a little more attention paid to the interests of the opposite gender (a little more action please).

My sisters and I were talking about these books the other day, and one of the things that they complained about was that they did not like the characters of Edward, Jacob, and Bella. It isn't a good sign when the three main characters are disliked by members of the target audience. I myself could have cared less for Edward or Jacob, both of them were a bit off from a masculine perspective, but it would take another thorough reading of the series for me to decide why. Initially I want to say that they are written too much through a woman's eyes, but that may not be it. I did like Bella's character, probably because her narrative voice sounds accurate to what I expect from a 18-19 year old girl. That could be a disastrous assumption though. And, I'm not gonna lie, Bella became cool in the end. I think I'm in love.

The support characters (mainly the Cullen family) are all considered to be pretty awesome, and Meyer does an excellent job making the reader like them. I doubt there has ever been a cooler group of vampires created than the Cullen family. But that is a rather general claim that I have no right making because, honestly, I'm not that well versed in vampire literature.

I think I may be coming off here as giving these books a quite negative review, and yes, much of what I have said has been focused on the flaws of Meyer's approach to her novels. But on the other hand, I, a 26 year old American male, read these books straight through. It really says something that I was able to slog through all that romance just for the few tidbits of vampire story that Meyer tossed in there. At its core, the essence of Twilight is a very cool story. You just have to struggle to find it amidst all the mushy, emotional writing.

4 comments:

Ransom said...

If you think you're not over-vampire-romanced, I'd like to hear what you think of Robin McKinley's "Sunshine". It's in the YA section at the HBLL, though I wouldn't have put it there.

1-4-Freedom said...

I started reading "Twilight", but stopped because it gave me the creeps. Sounds strange from a guy who is probably the world's greatest Harry Potter fan. But, it wasn't the concept of vampires, werewolves, etc., that gave me the creeps. It was that I could see very quickly where the story was headed - the heroine was going to submit to becoming a vampire because she loved the "guy" so much, etc. What bothered me, I think, was the concept that she would willingly put herself in a situation that would so compromise her ability to choose, i.e. becoming a vampire is irreversible, it is forever. She basically gave away her agency. That creeps me out the same way that girls giving away their virtue does.

Analei said...

Twilight did not impress me. Neither did Robin McKinley's Sunshine, which was a surprise because I really, really like Mckinley. I wouldn't recommend it.

Lunars Wolf said...

I disliked the characters, I couldn't stand the romance...shoot me now! And for some reason I still liked the books, though they are not my favorite and I dont know if I could ever make it through all the nasty mush and romance a second time. (That could be a problem because I haven't read the fourth one yet).