Sunday, December 06, 2009

A short-short on Love

And just for fun, I wrote this short-short late last night.


A Short-Short on Love
When Candace walked into the restaurant I was prepared. I’d been waiting for her all day. She strolled up to the bar, confident and sexy, a mortal Aphrodite. She slid onto a stool, and began pulling her long hair into a pony-tail. It took me a moment to close my mouth and remember that I was there for more than admiring her.

“A vanilla milkshake, please,” she said as I drew near.

I nodded and made my way over to the machine and began to make an extra special vanilla shake. When it was finished I presented it to her with a flourish.

“Hey Candace,” I said.

She looked up, and my carefully prepared speech disappeared into the vision of her clear green eyes. My next few words came out in an unintelligible jumble of sounds as my tongue and lips somehow just seemed to stop working.

But she nodded politely.

I mentally cursed myself as I walked away, and was once again forced to admire this vision of beauty from afar.

When Candace finally left, I turned to Mary, the other serving staff on duty and said, “How come I can never speak to beautiful women. Words just go right out of my head.”

She pursed her lips, shrugged dismissively and then walked away.

From this experience I can deduce a few hypotheses: 1) Men can never say what is really in their heads in regards to love and romance. 2) That when men can transmit words from brain to tongue successfully, it somehow comes out all wrong. 3) Women are marvelous communicators, so when they don’t choose to communicate something is seriously wrong. 3b) That something is usually something that was uttered from the lips of a man.

1 comment:

Analei said...

Hm. The problem I see is not his difficulties with Candace, but his disregard for Mary. By asking her such a question, he was basically telling her that he found her unattractive. No wonder she just walked away. Good story. I hope it was hypothetical.